Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter Championships now done. Reflection

What a way to end the season. Two great championship meets, and a really good December meet for many of our other swimmers who didn't make one of the championships. All together, a really great season.

I enjoyed seeing such great swims out of CSSC at Sectionals. It was a rough season, as our team competed at a lot of meets, and it seemed that we were telling the senior swimmers that they were doing good in season times, and they needed to trust the plan and the training. I'm glad Lauren stuck to her guns and followed through; I think it really paid off. I still think some senior kids allowed the season to get to their heads, and even though they performed well, the next time through a season and they trust the plan, they'll be even better.

I spent a lot of time at Sectionals with my brother as we love to talk swimming. I was able to hear him talk to Bobby and Cheyenne (Both who swam awesome) and it was cool to hear them talk about how they had to just, "trust their training." I think it is probably the hardest thing as a senior swimmer, as you go to meets and they're like run through's. Did you put forth the effort? Did you accomplish the little goals? like hitting the number of kickouts. And then, all those run throughs come together as you hit your taper and all the preparation through the in season swims all pay off. It's not like being an Age-Group swimmer anymore (where through stroke development and repetition you improve), as you put forth effort for a training season, where your body breaks down and can't swim at maximum speed, then you reap the rewards at the end.

I think with my swimmers I did well, maybe more than in the past, as I didn't let them back off too much, and didn't try to change a lot, stroke wise, at the end. I trusted my plan and watched the results. It was probably the least nervous I was going into a championship, but there was still that anxiety to see what was going to happen. I was very sure that they would swim fast, and they did, actually, many of them did above even what I thought (and I am pretty optimistic). Can't wait to see what we can do in the future.

Great Job CSSC swimmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment