Friday, February 1, 2013

Coaching Young Swimmers

My coaching has changed, evolved, and developed over the years. I am not old, but I have done this for a long time. When I began, my brother and I would explain things, and repeat multiple times, and then finally get the swimmers to swim a lap. We did get results, but as I look back on it, did we give them enough repetition to create solid long term muscles memory with this method? I don't think that we did.

We still talk a lot, but we don't explain everything multiple times now. Since I began coaching little kids again this fall, I began a different method. Explain and maybe repeat, but let them swim a lap trying to make sense of what you told them. Observe the lap, and then correct things that went wrong and send them off again. The hope is they correct that part, but of course there is a lot more that they were doing wrong, so now you move to the next part. Make another correction on the other side, and send them off. Correcting pieces, and in the end, they are close to doing something right.

The method means that they will develop slowly, but you are developing them by allowing them to fail (or make a mistake), and helping them learn through making mistakes. Creating an environment where making mistakes is ok, as long as you learn from them. This also allows you to focus on smaller parts and making better corrections that they can think about and create more muscle memory that is linked with cognitive thought.

Are you going to make the fastest 10 and under this way? Probably not, but you are developing a 10 and under for the long term. When you get a talented 10 and under, then yes they'll become fast, but not because of their training, but because of their talent. Your focus is teaching more than training, as they'll have plenty of training later down the road.

I am also helping a new coach as she will taking one of our young groups when I begin with my high school team. She comes from swim lessons, many times private swim lessons. I explained that what we do is develop young people looking at the long-term. This is very different than what she is used to, as private lessons people are looking for tangible results, and want them quickly. I have had my fair share of swimmers that I rushed along in an attempt to make them fast when they were young. It never really panned out well in the end. I learned from those mistakes, and now I try to not do things for their swimming that is in the interest of making them fast now, and not looking at what it may mean for future development. Sure, I'll have the fast young ones come along, but it can't be the focus.

2 comments:

  1. So let's think about the task at hand. Getting new/novice kid swimmers to be able to swim correctly with solid technique that will benefit them in the long-term. What are the constraints? Kids range from 6-9 years old usually. Probably attend practice 2-3 times a week for 45-60 mins. Kids usually can do free and back one length of pool. Coach may be in charge of anywhere from 8-20 swimmers. Boy that is a tough one.

    What I think most swim coaches have underestimated over the years is the power of watching. I think if you can get the kids to look at good technique and really see it by them paying attention they can gain some knowledge. Maybe have them watch 2-3 laps of a swimmer doing it right then have them jump in the pool and do a couple of laps and correct them right away. Instant feedback is huge early in most processes. Gets the kids on the right track quickly. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that approach. At times I do use athletes to be an axample. It is a great method to teach them. With a beginning group, that you are teaching a new drill, let's say, and you don't have access to an older swimmer, then you are left with trying the drill with just explanations. After a lap maybe you get lucky enough to have one do it good enough to be an example, then you could use the method.

    The other aspect is developing the environment where mistakes are ok. Allow them to make a mistake, and after them trying a lap, you tell them that they did great with something, but they need to work more on this other part. They'll be getting this type of feedback throughout there career, and you teach them how to deal with the fact that if they do it wrong they aren't in trouble, but it can be used as a step to becoming better.

    ReplyDelete