Sunday, February 10, 2013

Leave Something in The Tank

This phrase was used at a coaches clinic, and I have heard other times while learning about coaching swimming.

I think some people may not understand, but as coaches we do "Leave Something in the Tank." We don't try to do everything as soon as possible. This would relate to things like heavy yardage, weight training, or even on more developed stroke techniques.

This really applies to Age-Group Swimming. Most swim teams have a program in place that has their built in development program. The program will determine at what point a swimmer adds the bigger yardage, and when they learn certain skills. At the Senior Level, this could many various different things depending on the coach and philosphy.

Many programs have a program that is built around various levels, ours is 6 levels. If a swimmer joins us a 7 years old, our hope is that they are with us for 11 years, so that they graduate at around 18 while still in our program. So, obviously a swimmer isn't going to move up a group each and every year. So, for my group I expect them to be in the group from 1.5 to 3 years. Every season I try to touch everything, but I take certain aspects and emphasize them for specific seasons (which are roughly 0.5 years). This allows for a swimmer with me for 3 years won't be getting the exact same program each and every season. Some seasons I emphasize short axis stroke and flip turns. Others I emphasize long axis, open turns, and underwaters; Then there may be a season that I do a little more aerobic and diving. Even dryland changes from ab focused dryland, to leg focused, to aerobic focused.

I have mentioned many times that swimming can be a rollercoaster ride, and flat spots happen. We as coaches don't want to add onto that by providing the exact same thing the next season, and creating boredom in the training. A change of pace or focus may be the exact thing to help the swimmer get out of a funk. Scott Colby talked about a swimmer he had, an experience that didn't make sense, but funny thing was that it was something that happened to me as a swimmer. The season I wanted to be a better 100 backstroker, I got better at the 50 Free. The year I focused on the 50 Free, I became a better 100 Flyer. The year I wanted to improve my 100 Fly, I became a better 100 Backstroker. The change of focus somehow helped me to always be improving somewhere.

This is not a phrase we advertise to people, as some may not like the concept of leaving something in the tank for future improvement, but when you think about the fact that we are in the business of developing long term success in the sport; it does make sense. Too much, too soon leaves no options to adding to the training regimen. It could leave someone feeling like they are done, and they don't last in the sport. If this happens too soon, then that person will never be able to see what they actually could have been.

For the young coaches out there, Leave something in the Tank. It will serve your age-group swimmer in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment