Thursday, January 31, 2013

White Water

This was my science talk to my group today.

What is white water? White water is bubbles, which is air in the water.

I use the example of standing on a skateboard and I waive my hands back and forth. I ask the swimmers how far and fast am I going to go. They all realize that I am not going to move very far. So, pushing against air doesn't move you forward  very well, so why push against air while underwater. That is what they are doing when there are bubbles on their hands during the pull. So, bubbles and white water on the hands during the pull is not good.

On the other hand, we want white water on the kick for freestyle. I use the example of jumping into a pool that has no waves in it; it is "glass." Kids realize that jumping into this water hurts more than if there is movement in the water. I explain that when you hit still water it slows you down faster, so it hurts. When you disrupt the surface and create white water; the feet can now move quicker on the surface. I also use the example of watching diving on the Olympics, and the water that sprays out from under the board. The divers dive into this area because it is not still, so they go through the surface easier, and allows for a cleaner entry when a dive is performed well.

So, we want white water on the freestyle kick, and we don't want white water on the pull.

After some 200's freestyle focusing on this, some swimmers recognize how to get the bubbles off the hand after hand entry. They explain it, and then I repeat to the group (as I am louder). Glide on the front arm with arm and hand downhill. It allows the bubbles on the palm to move back, and the bubles on the top to move up the top of the arm, therefore not getting in the way of the portion of the arm creating the propulsion.

Does this help the kids with their swimming? It helps some, as some like to know the scientific reason why something is going to make them faster. It gives more motivation to focus on it besides, the coach told me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment