Sunday, December 5, 2010

Over Coaching at the End

As a young coach I remember how I used to talk to kids at meets. I remember throwing the kitchen sink at them. I also remembering trying my best to go over all the details in the weeks leading up to a big meet. Its like cramming for a test the night before; it doesn't all get taken in, and tends to just overwhelm.

I remember being a young Head Age-Coach at RCA and going to the ASCA Age-Group Clinic put on by John Leonard. He noted about not over-coaching at meets, and many of the coaches there seemed to already understand that you don't do this. I recall evaluating myself truthfully and seeing that I had this tendency. I fixed this, and have had much better culmination meets, and less stressed about big meets.

John Wooden talked about how being successful is preparing successfully. The success to prepare that is the true accomplishment not the result of the competition. Looking at how I approach culmination meets now, is that the preparation has been done and I trust that I prepared successfully therefore you don't need to do a whole lot of coaching towards the end.

I'll admit that I have had a hard time with sticking to this discipline as I want to just review and teach some more. I think I did well for the Holiday Meet, and now on to the week before WAG where I plan to just keep the bodies active and repeat the importance of doing the little things, and not trying to adjust strokes and skills too much this week.

I trust in my plan and believe that I have taught the things that I needed to teach. I coach Age-Groupers, so of course they might not have grasped everything that I wanted them to grasp, but I put it out there, and hopefully they picked up most of it.

2 comments:

  1. As a coach, how could someone approach you contructively about overcoaching at a meet and not coaching at practice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to get my head around the question. Maybe the phrase over coaching is the wrong term, but a term I heard for telling a swimmer too much right before the event and then they break out of the race at half speed because they are trying to make sure they remember all that I told them.

      You don't stop coaching at practices. You may not go through and construct strokes at the end of the season though. You refine mechanics with drills, and you observe their race pace. Make minor corrections. At the end of the season I like to work more on little things though. Repeat the timing of the breakout stroke; Repeat breakout with correct arm; Executing turns at full speed into a breakout; streamlines and being consistent; Diving; and other little things that can drop a few more tenths.

      This is all about the end of a season. The work was done throughout the season. The reps of execution have been done. The swim meets prior to this meet, I have used to teach the swimmer lessons about racing. I stay away from end of season changes.

      I apologize if I danced around the question, as I still can't grasp the actual question.

      Delete