Sunday, April 22, 2012

Swimmers strive with a sense of purpose rather than focusing on themselves

First thing to realize is that this concept is not easy in our sport. It is by nature a individual sport, but we strive to create a team sport to get the best results. I believe most swimmers don't get over the hump into senior swimming because they focus too much on themselves and their swimming. Swimmers, coaches, and parents alike misstep and allow the athlete to concentrate on themselves too much. Hear is a part of an article by Dana Vollmer which can be found on the USA Swimming Website:
... I have wanted to be a positive influence and a role model for young kids; I have wanted to make a difference in other people's lives through athletic success, just as he did for me. Unfortunately, for too long, I thought only multi-gold medalists and numerous record holders could make a difference. I failed to recognize that my ambition, in and of itself, could also serve as a platform for becoming a positive influence on others. After failing to make the Olympic team in 2008 I felt that I had failed at lifeand would never be able to have the positive influence I desired.
This apparent failure served as a wakeup call. With the help of some very special people, I eventually realized that I wasnt lacking swimming talent.  I was lacking a sense of purpose.  The best way to do that, I found out, was to focus less on myself. I strived to become the best teammate, friend and role model that I could.  And that, in turn, began to reignite a spark inside me. As I gained motivation, my success in the pool began to return.  I was now swimming not just for myself, but also for the sake of others, and this made all the difference.
 A Testimonial of a well-established swimmer who hit one of the hardest times for a swimmer; the time that they feel like they have failed at life and there was no improvement on the horizon.

Swimmers tend to do this. The focus on themselves, as it is only there times and improvements that they worry about, and they lose that fire to continue to work. Many articles indicate that most of those who go on to achieve their goals, have an instance where they begin to focus on how they help their whole team at meets and at practices. This fire to help others can be much stronger than the fire to improve oneself.

Swimmers, it is hard because of the pure nature of the sport, but it is very helpful for the fire and desire to strive in the sport.

Last summer we had many of our swimmers help out at summer league swim practices and summer league swim meets. To give back to the sport, and help other young swimmers get excited about the sport. In turn, we hope it helps build the fire in them, as they see newer swimmers get excited about the sport. I hope that this continues, so we can allow our swimmers not only think about themselves, but to think about helping their teammates and those new people to the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment