Monday, April 30, 2012

Coaching the Advanced Age-Groupers

Physiologically, the ages of 12 - 14 is critical time in a persons aerobic development, as it is said to be one of the easiest times to develop aerobic base. Before this period of a young persons growth the aerobic base may not be developed, but just stays as is, but can be pushed without a lot of growth in the aerobic development. This age range I mentioned can be as young as 11 for some girls and as old as 15 for some boys.

So, the Advanced Age-Group Level is a primary spot to do aerobic development, and it bleeds over into a pre-senior level as well.

I always look at what I am doing with my groups. I have a plan, but I admit I go away from it at times, but I am always evaluating what I am doing. I felt like my group lacked some stroke development, so the beginning of this season I made that an emphasis. Their strokes are for the most part better. There are some concepts still that some swimmers haven't grasped yet.

Now comes the point where I am going to pump up the aerobic and I watch and I want to stop them sometimes, and fix their strokes, but at the same time I don't want to disturb a aerobic set, which would kill the purpose of the set. I let them go and swim and get the aerobic set done, and they did a decent job at it. It is just those little stroke things that they aren't grasping, or having difficulty making a change.

I know that the aerobic set is good for them, and they need to begin to get more of it into their workout, but I am always wanting to fix their strokes. This is still part of my coaching I have to catch myself.

This also creates the problem when kids come to us at ages 13 - 14 years old with major stroke flaws. I want to fix them, but I also know I need to get that work in for their future development physiologically. I still do stroke development days when we have a rest day to allow the body recovery from hard work, but I just want to fix them right away.

In my development as a coach, I have to get to the point that I can let something go until the time is correct to fix things, and not only worry about the strokes, but worry about the physical development of the swimmer for the long term goals as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment