Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Goals, Goals, Goals

I talk about performance goals a lot. I believe that they need to have short term, mid term, and long term goals when it comes to where they want to be as a swimmer. I have seen too many summer league swimmers concentrate so much on silly goals that lead to nothing, and never have seen a time standard for a big meet to even have a reason to work harder.

I remember the talk I gave at the Fresno Pacific Swim Camp, and there were many kids who had never seen the motivational times, and they had no idea how fast they possibly could be with time and commitment. I open some eyes and I saw some kids take my motivational time sheets and excel from just having that step ladder of goal times.

Last night I talked to my group about practice goals though. I have talked about this before, as there are some sets that I do that are very similar to previous sets, and there are some test sets in there for the kids. Last night though I put it another way, maybe it got across to some of them that the other talks haven't. That is the goal of saying the same thing many different ways (we are trying to reach many kids just those that can understand the way you like to say it.)

As the weeks go on, I want everybody to recognize that they are able to do something that previously couldn't do. That is the best indicator that you are progressing at the advanced age-group level. Younger levels could be more about stroke techniques. They are able to do a skill better than they did before. As the swimmer gets older, it may not be as much that they can do a skill better, but maybe they are able to do a set better (make a set look easy). Maybe they can complete something that they previously couldn't do like a 400 IM or a 800 Freestyle.

Swimming is a sport based on goal setting. Without it, it is hard to tell yourself to work harder. It becomes that sole motivation as you get older, as there are so many other things telling you that you don't need to work harder. Do not become content on the work you've put in, but continue to push yourself because you want that next goal, which is the next step to the long term goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment