Tuesday, November 15, 2011

We do what's necessary, and a little more about the blog

First thing, Last night we did a 5000 yard practice for a group that has done between 4000 - 4500 on hard nights, and we started the night off with running a mile. Not everyone made the whole workout, but many tried very hard to make as much of it as they possibly could. I could tell that many were doing their best. I ended the night talking about what is necessary.

"You don't achieve the best that you can be by just doing what you want to do. You must do what is necessary to be the best that you can be." I have talked to them before about going beyond their comfort zone, and last nights workout was one of those workouts in terms of yardage. The intervals weren't that tough, but I also didn't include a whole lot of talking or explanation. It was a "Meat and Potatoes" workout. Freestyle at an aerobic level, and for a good amount of time. We did some breaststroke and backstroke as active rest between the interval sets, but it was pretty much freestyle.

With every talk I give, it is with the aim of creating a culture. It is one of the main things that I must do in my position. I am developing athletes to understand the culture and work ethic that is going to be necessary to be able to succeed in our two senior groups. That means I need to develop their strokes, develop race skills, develop aerobic foundation, develop character, and develop the right mentality to make the transition and time in the senior groups successful and enjoyable. Yes, training can be enjoyable if they understand what the training is aimed towards. Swimming doesn't have to be the sport that you have to hate to succeed. Many do succeed despite not enjoying the sport, but there are others who can actually enjoy the challenge of practices, and enjoying the challenge of attending every practice. The sacrifices made aren't seen as sacrifices anymore, they are seen as commitment to something that they love to do.

Now to the second part. This blog can be informative to many people, but there is some information that many in the swimming world already know. I don't take claim that all of my information is mine and/or original. I have studied many, I have stolen terminology, and borrowed many ideas. I may spin them in a different way, but most of them are from somewhere else.

For the coaches who follow this blog, think about where can someone get some of the information I include in this blog. You can get it from a mentor coach, coaching books, and other swimming resources that normally you have to pay for. One thing I heard recently is the belief that the young coaches don't really know what they are doing, and that there aren't a good amount of new good young coaches out there. So, it is the responsibility for coaches to teach those trying to come into the ranks. Again, I don't see myself as a guru for coaching swimming, but I have some knowledge that some may be able to take a few tid bits from, and build from those pieces that they take away.

For the young coaches, always be willing to listen. I watch and listen to my Head Coach. We are the same age, but she has experiences that I haven't had. I watch and listen to my younger coaches, yeah they have little experience, but that doesn't mean that they won't come up with something clever. I watched and talk to my old age-group coach as he had experiences that I didn't have, and had ideas that were very different than mine. I sat down at the senior meet at Rancho-Simi and talked to the Senior Coach for Santa Barbara Swim Club and senior coach from Sun Devil Aquatics, and I took in what they had to say. 10 years into swim coaching, and I continue to try to learn more to be able to spin into the way I do things.

This blog is just a compilation of my thoughts and ideas. About what I am doing with my swimmers, and things that I try to accomplish with them. As I said almost a year ago, I am putting my thoughts and information out there, if someone takes something from it, that is awesome.

I hope that every enjoys reading the blog, and I get kind of excited that so many people are that interested in what I have to say (or type). Going to be at 4500 pageviews soon, with well over 1200 pageviews the last two months. Never thought I'd get this kind of following, but it is really cool. Thank you to all of you.

P.S. Don't be afraid to leave comments. I am more than willing to respond or answer any comments that are posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment