Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lift Force Part 2, What, How, Why

I realized that I might have jumped the gun for some people on the concept of lift force. So I am going to go a little bit more on how it works.

Essentially if you look at air and water at the molecular level rather than the chemical level the difference is the density or the amount of molecules in a given area. An airplane takes off when the wings flaps shift downward and block the air from going under the wing. This creates fast moving molecules going over the top of the object and slow moving molecules on the bottom part of the object. This makes the object actually move in a direction perpendicular with the object that it is moving across. This can also be seen for helicopter's as the propeller is angle to fight against the air to force the air over the surface and thus lifting the helicopter. A Propeller on the front of the airplane demonstrates that this can also be used to move in a horizontal direction as well.

So, back to swimming. The arm and hand is created with soft and harder surfaces. The palm and the forearm are softer surfaces that allows for more give, that enhances the ability to hold water. The natural curvature of the hand also creates a great area to catch the water as well. So, when a swimmer catches water the swimmer holds water and doesn't allow it to move., so it creates a way that sculling can work to propel a swimmer forward.

Many people watch sculling or even do sculling and doesn't realize how it can work. Many choose that it can't move them forward and then begin to pull instead, only for their coach to tell them to stop pulling. The hands catch water and then move out and in to create a fast moving molecules of water on the back of the hand, and moves the swimmer forward without actually push against the water.

When I try to get swimmers to understand how it works I have them front scull two different ways. First with the palms down and fingers downward, and they can see they can move forward. Don't make them do the full 25 yards as they get tired of moving so slowly and begin to cheat. Six sculls and stop. They should have moved a little bit. Then I have them face their palms forward with fingers up for about six sculls. They move backward because the palm still catches water in that position and the water moves faster on the back of the hand. The propulsion will move in the direction of the fast moving water which is backwards. Now I have showed them that you go forward by sculling with fingers downward and backwards when sculling  with fingers upward. Swimmers really don't need to know about lift force, but I throw it in efvery once in awhile and talk about how an airplane takes off and how their hand create the same force, but I know that only a fraction of the kids really get it. Some kids like the reinforcement on why something is going to work, and they're more willing to try it.

Breaststroke and Freestyle I focus on lift force the most though. What I am doing with butterfly is different now, and I am still thinking about how I can use the information about lift force to make it more effective. Backstroke is another one that I don't use too much lift force due to the upside down body position. Again, I gather information, and then try to put it to use. Although I continue to make kids good at these strokes, I am still looking for ways that I can enhance it. Not sure if Lift Force will be the tool I use to continue the development of these strokes, but I do have it my "tool belt" to possible try to create a way to enhance a stroke down the road.

One note on Free and Breaststroke with Lift Force. The faster the molecules move over the surface the more force created, that's why planes have to pick up speed before they lift works to lift it up. The better freestyle kick the more effective the lift force will be. Breaststroke will be most effective at the last power push at the end of the kick. My group has many who keep fingers down and as they finish the kick the lift the fingers, AHHHHH! The most effective part not being taken advantage of by the swimmer. Continual reminding. Change is hard and habits are hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment