Sunday, October 23, 2011

Essay by a former swimmer

I've dedicated some of the last posts about myself and about how I conduct myself as a coach. as kind of a continuation, it reminded me of an e-mail I got this last spring about a young man I coached on my high school team my final year at Selma High. This isn't the first time someone has passed along a school paper about how swimming has made an impact on them, but it is the most recent. So I am going to add this to me blog, but I want to say that this is not my writing, but I want to keep the source anonymous as I didn't really ask to put this on my blog.


The Most Influential Person In My Life

      "Heep, heep, go!" Those are the words every swimmer will hear at a swim meet under coach Kacy Ota. Kacy was not only the best coach Selma has ever had, he was also one of the most down-to-earth person anyone could meet. He never gave up on his swimmers and always knew what to say after an event. This is why Kacy Ota is the most influential person in my life.
      I opened the fenced door into my first day of swim practice. I remember the first person I saw was Kacy, he was sitting on a table, staring at the pool. He had long straight hair and a full beard. I said to myself "Wow , he looks like he just got out of prison for murdering someone who coughed in his pool. I feel bad for whoever's coach that will be." Now I was under the impression that Coach Manter was the Varsity coach. I learned two lessons that day, never judge a book by its cover, and second, seriously, never judge a book by its cover.
      It turned out the scary coach, who did not talk nor seemed to breathe, would be my coach for my first year of swimming. I was fresh meat on Varsity and after a workout that left me dragging myself out of the pool, Kacy asked me, "How was your first day of practice, (Edited Writer's Name)?" I struggled to reply, "It was awesome!" Deep down inside, I knew the only thing that was awesome about that day was practice being over.
      I had no idea how to swim. Kacy could see that. However, what made him the best coach was that he didn't care how well you swam; he would make you into a real swimmer and he never gave up on you. It had been a long season and I reached the point of peak performance. The Central Sequoia League swim meet was in a week. Kacy had me put my back against the wall and reach out my hand, then he asked me to use my shoulder to extend, "How much farther can you reach?" "A whole hand." I replied. Kacy said "With the length of the pool in a 200 yard freestyle, you can cut your strokes by about 9 or 10 if you use your shoulder." I also remember before practice, Kacy had given us a few words of wisdom. "You can't accomplish the impossible if you don't challenge the impossible." Nobody said qualifying for Division 2 was going to be easy. Nobody said placing first in your event was a sure thing. If I want something im going to have to work harder than anyone in the Valley to get it. I have lived by those words, and , at the final swim meet, Kacy had said "I am the next (Edited, another Former Swimmers name). He didn't know how to swim but with hard work and dedication he ended up a good swimmer." I was one second short of qualifying for D2, this was my last chance. I got on the dive block, and I remember everything slowing down. The only words in my head were "(Edited Former Swimmers name again)." The buzzer went off, and I swam my heart out; however, a bad flip turn ruined the race for me. I was two seconds slower than my top performance. I got out of the pool and I held in the tears, the hard work would not pay off my junior year. Kacy talked to me, calmed me down and told me what I did wrong. He put it in a way that made me feel good about that event.
      Kacy Ota is no longer the coach at Selma High. Most of the swim team can feel how different this year had been. I, myself, feel like I haven't learn anything. However, Kacy still coaches me through Facebook. He messages me tips and motivational words. He is still the reason why my times continue to improve. Kacy Ota has been and always will be the most influential person in my life, as a coach and as a friend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is great to know I can do this by just doing my job and being myself. The greatest part is that there are so many swim coaches out there that have made an impact in their athletes lives, and I know that I fall into that category. It is not the reason I first began coaching, but it sure is a great reason why I love to coach now.

No comments:

Post a Comment