Tuesday, October 25, 2011

3000 for Time Fall 2011

I normally do this twice or so per year. Tonight we did it and there are mixed reactions about it. The one's who have done it before are either eager or neutral about the Test Set, and the new ones (like always) are intimidated by it. Some are flat out reluctant, while others are looking forward to it, but are hesitant to be excited. I do call in to question a few swimmers lap counting as most of the time is the case, but I will post the results of the 3000 anyway.

(They were given 52 minutes to finish. Some stopped for extended breaks and some felt woozy part way through.)
*TT: 36:32
*NM: 37:57
AF: 40:36
DD: 39:32
*JL: 38:24
GB: 41:25
AM: 45:47
KLo: 46:14
KLi: 36:30
CP: 37:29
DG: 39:43 (did a 50 too much)
DT: 38:44
JW: 48:46
AG: 50:28
*KD: 45:47
CP: DNF
KW: DNF
DB: 43:44
EG: 47:42
MB: 47:45
KDee: 44:32
*RP: 50:34

Times are Minute and Seconds with no tenths as I was going off of a running watch.

The effort was very good for the most part. Most started off too slow, and after the first 1000 yards I saw many really pick it up. I didn't take splits but for the top times I'd say most of them came close to negative splitting by a decent amount. Everything got faster on the last part. Turnover rate, kick, and turns. Even from those who had done it before, they all began hesitant and really built it up.

As intended, most of the kids gained confidence in their capability of doing such a long swim as the swim progressed. Some of the kids though shied away completely throughout the set, and probably didn't get the most out of this 3000. Hopefully in future timed 3000 they are able to challenge the end of the 3000, and gain the most out of the set.

Physical and Mental toughness. You can see it grow as the swimmers go through the set. This was what I felt when I did this as an age-grouper. We were given 45 minutes to finish, and the first time I wasn't given the opportunity to finish, and the second time I gained a lot of confidence as I finished in the time that we were given. It really helped me mentally when I was a swimmer, and I hope it does the same for my swimmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment