Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rotation

Worked on rotation today at the Saturday Practice. I like to emphasize the rotation and try to get rid of the flat swimming and the swerving and sliding hips.

I watch videos and listen to a lot of people on how there are new ways to teach rotation, and how they like to drive the rotation with kick or now some like to emphasize the shoulders to drive the rotation. I agree that for higher level swimming when you are dealing with senior swimmers there are different ways to create more force, but these methods are based upon the idea that they understand the basic concepts.

I like to emphasize swimming from the core. Rotation is core driven. So many swimmers put their body weight into their rotation, normally by driving with the shoulders. I agree that this could actually create more force, but if you never learn to use your core, it is really hard to learn later on.

I also like to teach big rotation on backstroke. Sure, the cool new thing is the flatter backstroke, or the sliding of the hips as Aaron Piersol does, but to create the leverage to make power from the armstroke should begin with a big rotation. Once the big rotation is learned, then you can flatten the backstroke if it is better for the swimmer to have more power in the kick or faster tempo rate (rhythm).

So many, new styles and little unique tricks that are learned at the senior level. That is great because they are looking for ways to maximize their stroke as the basics have taken them to a certain point. I do see some flaws in teaching these different ways before the basics.

I know many would argue with me. They would say things like, "well then when would you teach them the other things?" My answer, simply, age doesn't matter, you can learn the basics then develop unique aspects once you've grasped the basics. Younger the swimmer though the more you can develop basics to the max which could be a great tool later on as the new skills will help them improve an already strong and powerful stroke.

This philosophy has made some parents in the past upset with me, as some of my 10 and unders in the past, have not been the cream of the crop at ten, but I believe that I have developed strokes through basics that it won't take much for them to pass by a lot of their competition at ages 11 - 14 (depending on the swimmer).

Rotation basic that I emphasize is trying to recognize what it feels like to initiate the rotation from the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment