Friday, March 4, 2011

Long Course Time

It has come to that time, Long Course. I am excited that it is like starting new when it comes to motivation, as swimmers have recognized their progress and realize that they have closed the gap between themselves and a meet like JAG. I think when I got here I had two kinds of mentalities for the most part: the swimmer demoralized because they weren't even close to qualifying for big meets, and the ignorant who felt like if they showed up to practice they'll make JO's. I feel like many of the swimmers now have more confidence as they see they have progressed to be close to a meet like JAG, and then others who have realized that they have to learn and work to make it to the faster swim meets.

Although I haven't overhauled the culture of the team, I feel like I have definitely improved the culture of the Blue Group. Some kids dropped out along the way as they weren't digging the new culture, but it all worked out to help change the group. There are still some that remain who haven't bought into the new culture, and you can definitely tell who those are when you seem them at practice. Some haven't changed though because they don't come to practice often enough to make the changes with the group.

As a swimmer, I wasn't a fan of Long Course, but as a coach, my swimmers have had the tendency to enjoy Long Course more than Short Course. I can't wait to see what happens with this group.

I have to reset my brain, as I know I'm going to be at Ventura this weekend wondering if that swim the kid did is a good time or not, and wondering, how good of time is it? I am always mixed up when it comes to Long Course Times.

Recent practices. They have been stroke development based workouts, but very different than those of January and February. Much more drilling and developing strokes through drills have also led to more swimming and less talking. It reminds me of September, almost to the degree of how I tried to start the group at (before realizing some of the things I really felt they needed to work on) when I got to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment