Wednesday, April 6, 2011

About making hard sets look easy

After practice I talked to the kids about the last two meets. I pointed out to of the swimmers and their achievements at the meets. I also recognized that those two individuals had looked great at practices leading up to the meet. I talked about how we did some sets that I thought would be hard for the group, but they made the set look easy. Although they were working hard, the extra speed they put into the set is what made the set look easy.

"They had practiced fast," I emphasized again, as I had done the prior two weeks. The results: they swam fast at the swim meet. "Your body will go to what it has practiced when it is tired or your mind slips. So, we need to start working on swimming fast at practice."

Today's practice: I can tell who took this to heart. They were giving a totally new effort at the practice. They seemed to actually be enjoying it more now than when they were not putting forth the effort. Really excited that some of the swimmers stepped up and took on the challenge of trying to make sets designed to be hard, look easier than planned.

I'm not one to single out swimmers, but here I did and added why I was recognizing them. It wasn't for a great meet, but doing the preparation at practice to be ready to have a great meet. Most of my swimmers had two really good meets, but those two individuals definitely had swims that were stand out performances.

Let's see if the group continues to push like this, and see what comes of it at the May Buena Meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment