Friday, March 8, 2013

Beginning with body position

The Long Course Season begins. I have roughly 7 weeks before first meet, so I begin with the basics again. I used this week to do stroke work with most of it referring to body position.

Floating began this work. Trying to get the kids learn to lean forward onto their lungs. It is difficult to do for most, but I give them time to just play with it. They feel the sensation of trying to tip that body downward.

The next thing is being aware of where the hips are during the strokes. I repeat myself a lot, and most understand the idea that we always want the hips to be at the service. We do drills and swimming with paying attention to where the hips are in the stroke. I try to point typical spots where swimmers push their hips down, or let their guard down and allow an arched back lead to lower hips.

Finished the week with some long aerobic swims, but finished again with the focus being keeping the hips on the surface. It's nice that this year I planned a longer break before the 1st LC meet as I can focus on early season stuff rather than developing speed. One more week of pure stroke development concentrating on pulling, and then back to the work. I am looking forward to this Long Course Season with the new season design.

No comments:

Post a Comment