Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Begin the training

So, with my team I scheduled a break of meets for 7 weeks. We had a flurry of meets in January and February and we finished off very well at our Coastal Champs Meet.

I looked at my group and saw a whole new group of kids moving up that needed some big stroke work, and my returning swimmers had some body position and pulling work that needed to be addressed. Instead of waiting for August and September when I normally have the long break before a meet. I planned one to begin the LC season.

1st general stroke work; 2nd I worked primarily body position; 3rd was an emphasis on pulling and sculling; finishing off with kick work which also began some aerobic conditioning.

Now we are into training. The yardage and intensity pumped up. Over 4000 on day one followed by a butterfly workout on day two. Already pushed the fastest interval for the group (100 free on 1:20), and those were at the end of the 2800 yard main set.

Still need stroke work, but it will be intertwined throughout the workouts of training now. Like today's butterfly workout had about 600 yards of drill and 400 yards of dolphin motion with fins.

It has been fun to see who the next kids who are going to step forward to be the top of the group. Some surprises already. These are the ones I'll look to see breakout seasons from. These are the swimmers who have now bought into the idea that it is work ethic that will make them better. This will set the groundwork for their success after my group. I allow the swimmers to make this choice, and I just guide them to that understanding. It is best when it is not pushed upon them by those outside of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment