Saturday, August 11, 2012

The message is the same

So, I am going through old keep sakes that my mother gave me. I see a lot of old pictures and school stuff of my brother and I. There is also old stuff of my mom's including newspaper clippings, and old swim stuff in the boxes.

I came across a self-written note that my mother wrote down, and saved for some reason, but the message on the note is great. It was definitely a note to herself, and what she told herself during this time in her life. I can tell it was still a time when she swam with Chaos Swim Club in Selma, as it has one part when she mentions Patti (I know this was one of her teammates while still in Selma).

The end of the note this are some of her thoughts:
"Sprint in practice to PAIN."
"GOOD ATTITUDE TOWARDS YOURSELF IN SWIMMING"

I left the underlining and Capitalization as written.

This is what a world class swimmer thinks to herself, and reminds herself on a note. It is how a person rises above all around her. How a little girl from a small town can rise to be amongst the best in the world. Not to be afraid of pain and to have the insight to know that her attitude towards herself; are the most important things. This note had to be written in the mid to late 70's, so it was a time when athlete psychological development wasn't something that coaches focused on (It was an era focused on aerobic conditioning, and pounding out yards to be the best).

I write this in hope that athletes out there realize that it is more than just showing up to practice. It takes that inner desire inside of you to rise above your opponents. A Coach can help motivate when you struggle from time to time throughout the seasons, but the motivation from within is so powerful. Also remember, that without that "good attitude" towards yourself; all the work and pain is for not.

Student Athletes are not ordinary people, but extraordinary people. They strive to do the "extra" on a daily basis to not just be ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment