Thursday, August 2, 2012

My advice to young coaches

As we are coming into the break for most teams, I thought I'd add a little post for any young coaches out there who may read this blog. It is a pretty simple message. Become involved with the process.

As a young coach, my father had me attend board meetings. I was a assistant age-group coach, but I went and was just a fly on the wall at board meetings, and I was able to see the behind the scene operations. I continued to attend when I became Head Age-Group Coach. Here I also began to become more active with the board and the administrative part of the team.

When I began coaching, my father (my head coach) also had me attend LSC meetings. I wanted to be involved, so I picked up an unfilled role as an athlete representative, as I was also continuing to compete at Senior Meets at the time. Later, I would serve one year as age-group chair before leaving for Southern California.

I became a Head Coach of the Summer League team at the age of 19, and I had to work with that board as well. I soon became president of the Summer League team. I attended League Meetings beginning at 17, and soon became Vice-President of the Summer Recreational League of over 3000 swimmers.

I became involved with developing programs, and executing them with group of volunteers behind me. I learned a lot in all of these experiences that I had between the ages of 18 - 25, and then I became a Head Coach where I learned even more about operating a swim club. You'll be amazed about how much goes into it, and how much work is involved. The politics that go on to make all these things in swimming happen and progress.

Coaches, you are not going to be asked to get involved (well maybe you will, if they're desperate). To learn about the other parts of a swim club takes you to show an interest in becoming involved. At first you may just be a fly on the wall, but as you learn, you can step forward and begin to be more involved. It served me well, I hope it can serve you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment