Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Breaststroke Body Position; don't duck dive

This just came out last night at practice. I visualized what I see some of the swimmers do, and it made me think of the days when I use to go out and surf. Swimming out and get past the break is sometimes challenging, so there is a method called a "Duck Dive"



I talked about how I want them to hold a downhill position, and that we don't want to duck dive. When doing the "Duck Dive" in surfing the board is buoyant, so the method works very well, but when swimming you don't have a surfboard to lift the body portion of the body. This is why keeping the lungs down to help raise the hips. If done properly though, the hips don't have that far to lift anyways.

I don't always teach in the terms of what not to do, but on occasion I'll mention it to let them know what they are doing because they may not be aware of what they are doing. The "Duck Dive seemed to be a fun way to describe a motion that I wanted to discourage. Hopefully I painted a decent picture for them, and it can be applied as we move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment