Friday, February 11, 2011

Age-Group Practice

CSSC is not setup to do practices by age-group. We run our team more based on ability as there are kids who start swimming at different ages and learn skills at different times as they are growing up. But I thought it would be fun for the kids to be able to swim with their teammates of the same age-group, so we held a Age-Group Practice Today.

8 and unders and 9 - 10 swimmers swam for the first hour. It looked like the kids were having some fun with it. I think some didn't know how to react to it, as we never have practices designed like this. I think as we try to do this more often the kids will get to know each other better and will have more fun with it as it goes.

The other groups were 11-12 and 13 and over (No Senior 1's in the practice though). 13 and over was such a big group, but I think they enjoyed being able to swim with each other. The 11-12 group is what I coached. I really enjoy coaching this age, it is where I started coaching, and I always seemed to like it, and feel very comfortable with this group.

We are going to try this every once in awhile. I think the kids will get to know more of their teammates, and it will help build some team spirit as we move forward. It's exciting to see the kids have team spirit for their club team, as I came from a situation where that was hard to do as the kids had their loyalties to their summer teams and the club team was more to prepare for their summer league. This was a lot of fun, and I think the kids had fun with it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment