Sunday, December 2, 2012

What I do at meets.

So, all over the country swim meets are ran differently. I have worked in Central and Southern California. This may not apply to everyone.

What I try to get my swimmers to do at meet in regards to checking in with the coach. Before the race I ask for my swimmers to come tell me their heat and lane. Coaches have a psych sheet which only has the place which they are seeded in the event, and not the actual heat and lanes.

When I first started and I didn't have a lot of swimmers at meets, this wasn't that important. I could find my athletes, or check it myself, as I had plenty of breaks throughout the meet. At these meets, sometimes I didn't seat in the coaches area, as I really didn't need to always be looking at the pool. Once I figured out that I could hear how and what coaches said to their swimmers; I always sat in the coaches area to learn.

Now that I have a lot of swimmers at meets, the heat and lane helps me not only be sure I watch a particular heat, but allows me to plan: when to talk to swimmers; when to take a bathroom break; when to get grab something to eat or drink; or just when to sit back and take a deep breathe. With a lot of swimmers in various age-groups you may have a period of time that you are non-stop for a long time.

Before a race, I also try to give some reminders. Many times swimmers want a lot of explanation, but sometimes it is very simple. Many times the reminders are the same as every meet because they are important reminders for a particular race. My group is also learning and trying new events a lot, and providing strategies help them realize what we want to see. As they get more experience, creating a strategy for them becomes less, as they have learned the strategy of a race.

After a race, I try to tell them to cool down (warm down) first, but many times this goes in one ear and out the other. They are trained though to come talk after the race. I provide feedback. I try to include some positive feedback and some criticism. Sometimes, I am so fed up with saying the same thing over and over again, I have done more criticism than positive. When a swimmer is having a rough meet (a lot of swims with added times) I'll drift to more positive feedback, and just make quick comments about the errors. Sometimes if I can tell that they are being to hard on themselves, we'll have the talk about a race being in the past, and not to allow that race affect the next.

Talking to swimmers is hard at times, as a coach can be non-stop busy, but trying to keep a swimmer around until their is a quick break to have a talk with them is needed at times. We have to try to read our swimmers, and figure out what they need to be told. Coaching young kids and the more advanced age-grouper provides plenty of really good meets, but there are also some that are going to be dissapointing. Swimmers need to learn how to navigate through the hard times, and they aren't going to figure it out on their own. Coaches guide them the best they can to learn how to deal with dissapointment. It is one of the crucial lessons to learn to be successful in swimming, and actually, a great lesson for whatever they pursue.

I love swim meets. I am always excited to see what my swimmers are going to do. I hate bad meets, but I know they are going to happen. Great meets are amazing to watch your swimmers take lessons they have learned and apply it, and have success from them. The procedure I do is daunting to do and takes a lot out of me, but it has worked out well for my athletes.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes I think coaches should get one "FREE PASS" so they can go to the front of the line in the bathroom. Sometimes, you only have a few minutes in the entire meet! Thanks for the post. It is a critical part of the positive coaching.

    ReplyDelete