Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer League Meet

Just finished our summer league meet. I like this league this year as it is just the novice programs of some of the close by USA Swim Teams. It is fun to see our young swimmers, and our new swimmers who are starting out in swimming, and we give them an opportunity to do some short course in the summer time and not be intimidated by Long Course while being in the water for only 2 to 3 weeks. I like to see the kids who may end up joining our team and those that may swim for me in the next 2 - 5 years.

Our meet began late due to entry mess ups. We started close to 5:25pm. The meet ended at 7:40pm. Wow, how different it is from what I grew up with for summer league and what I did for years as a coach of summer league. Every Tuesday and Thursday night for 3 to 4 weeks we'd be out there to 10:00pm or possibly as late as 11:00pm. Working adults, young children, and those coming to watch. It was just the way it was for the league. Dual Meets of only two teams of 20 from the league going at it for these late meets.

I guess I am spoiled now. It got past 7:30pm and I was thinking about how late it was. Ha! we weren't even done with the backstrokes (still with IM's, Fly, Brst, and relays left to go) by 7:30pm.

No matter how it is run though, it is great to offer a summer program where kids can be introduced to the sport. A few will go on to try to reach for higher goals, and join the club team. I think the connection is little closer with the teams being USA Swim Teams here, which is more pro-high achieving than my previous league. The CVRSL is a great tool though. A little too serious, but  it does provide that introduction.

I can't wait to see how many of these swimmers decide to join us in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment