Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Development

How much I have tried to help my fellow coaches develop this past 10 months or so that I have been here in Simi Valley, I also feel like I have grown a lot. I always like to look over what I have done over a period of time and how I have developed and evolved.

With RCA I look back and I know that I tried to develop strokes to progress the swimmer. When they reached a point where training was needed I moved them up to my father or my brother. I always found the training aspect of coaching boring. With my new coaching position, I am in the position similar to what I was before, but I realize that I need to do some more aerobic development while they are still developing strokes. This is the biggest change in my coaching. My willingness to train an athlete to get what they need to be a high performing swimmer, despite that aspect being boring, I understand and now believe in the beginning level of training necessary to develop a good swimmer, and develop a work ethic that will help them as they progress along in their career.

I still believe in the stroke develop aspect that I still love to do, but I have opened my point of view of needing to develop ones stroke and not just always developing a stroke. I have had much success since being here, and I think as I get better at training swimmers and understanding the science aspect, I will continue to grow to become a better coach.

I look to see what I have evolved to and where I was, not only evaluate how a season plan worked out. Yes I will evaluate the success of each training season, and improve on it, but I think as a still young coach, I can also improve as I begin to study more about the development of the body through training and not just the studying of how the body can move through water effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment