Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Heep

I may be pretty noticeable on deck, as I have a signature call to my swimmers.

The loud, low pitched cheer that sounds like I am saying, "Heep."

What is up with that?

Well, my age-group coach, Phil Black, had his whistle that penetrated through water and you could here as you raced. All other sounds in my swimming career have been inaudible; it was just a blur of sound. I can't whistle to save my life, so when I became a coach I knew I needed a signal that you could hear under water. It began as me just yelling go and hup, but I lost my voice a lot, and my throat became very scratchy, so I tried to figure out something better. I remember hearing my grandmother sing, and by herself she could fill the church chapel with her voice all alone. It was amazing how she was able to push out beautiful notes so loudly. So, I thought to myself that I have some of her genes, maybe I could find a good note that I could put out that swimmers could hear and wouldn't kill my vocal chords. That is when I find a deep note that I could do just that, and not only did my swimmers tell me that they could hear me, but those around me told me that I vibrated the ground around me. I had found it.

What is the purpose?

First of all kids love it, that they can recognize it, and they get excited to hear me belt it out. Being a young kids coach, this became a great tool to really enjoy competing as they knew eventually they were going to hear that loud, "heep." Swimmers also began to realize that I just do it whenever I want, but I do it when I am looking for my effort, or when more push is needed. I don't tell kids this, but they seem to understand without explanation.

To those around me, is it annoying? Maybe, but I really don't care. For around ten years, I have used this call and my swimmers love it. That is what matters. Do I lose my voice for over doing it? Yes, on occasion, but it's all worth it when I know the kids like it.

It has become a signature, and it is one of those things that many remember about me.

Does everyone need a signature call? No, but I created myself one, and I have had a blast with it, and probably will continue doing for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment